Get to know everything about the majestic Jaigarh Fort, situated atop “Cheel ka Teela” hill overlooking Rajasthan’s picturesque city i.e. Jaipur. As you make your way up to the fort, take in the grandeur of its soaring walls, a perfect example of India’s regal and imperial past. Witness the marvelous views of the surrounding hills, cityscape, and other monuments of Jaipur from the highest point in the fort.
Jaigarh is also renowned for being home to the world’s largest cannon on wheels. This cannon, aptly named ‘Jaivana’, has a barrel length of almost 18.2 meters and stands testament to the courage and power of the Indian Rajputs who used to guard the fort.
So, step inside and take in the history and culture of Jaigarh!
Jaigarh Fort Entry Fees / Ticket Price
Jaigarh Fort Entry Time
Jaigarh Fort is open from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM, from Tuesday to Sunday, except during Holi, when the fort remains closed. Guided tours of the fort are available to help you better understand its history.
Note: The above times are in IST (Indian Standard Time) format.
Built-in 1726, Jaigarh Fort is a massive structure located on a cliff of the Aravalli hills in Jaipur, Rajasthan. The fort is notable for being one of the few military structures of medieval India that has survived largely intact.
It was built by the Rajput king Jai Singh II of Amber to guard Amber fort and its palace complex. The fort was known for its formidable defensive structures, including massive gateways, defensive walls, moats, and bastions.
There are two main and unique structures in Jaigarh Fort, the world’s largest cannon, Jaivana, and an underground water storage reservoir, the Jal Kothari.
Today, Jaigarh fort stands as an impressive testimony to the engineering prowess of the Rajputs.
Interesting Fact: A rumor is spread among the locals that on the order of Indian Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, the Income tax department searched the fort (inside water storage reservoir, the Jal Kothari) for hidden treasure belonging to Kachwahas. Many believe that they found the treasure and stole it overnight but nothing was mentioned on papers.
Activities To Do In Jaigarh Fort
- Explore the fascinating architecture of the fort: Marvel at the huge sandstone walls, admire the amazing terrace gardens and fountains, and check out the secret underground tunnels.
- Watch the grand Sound & Light Show: Learn about the fort’s interesting history as the mesmerizing light and sound show brings it to life.
- Go bird-watching: Keep an eye out for rare bird species in and around the fort as Jaigarh is known for its avian population.
- Attend cultural events: Keep up to date with all the upcoming traditional performances, music festivals, and theatre nights hosted in Jaigarh.
- Have a picnic in the park: Bring a mat and some delicious snacks and spend an afternoon enjoying the views of the Aravali mountain range from the park.
- Test your archery skills: Test your aiming skills by shooting arrows with traditional Rajput bow and arrow sets in Jaigarh’s archery ground.
- Experience an afternoon tea: Visit the historic in-house Café Baisa at the fort and try some of the local traditional specialties.
- Climb the watch tower: Take in the stunning views of the surrounding countryside and Jaipur city from the top of the grand clock tower.
Best Time To Visit Jaigarh Fort
The best time to visit Jaigarh Fort is during the months of October to March. This time period is ideal to explore the rich historical and cultural heritage of this majestic fort. The pleasant climate of this season with the moderate temperatures and reduced humidity level allows you to explore the place with great enthusiasm and zeal.
With the pleasing skies, warm winds, and calmness around, one can easily lose themselves in the glorious history of this fort which has been a witness of numerous historical battles.
Places To Eat Around
If you’re looking for places to eat near Jaigarh Fort, then you are in luck!
- A must-try is the exquisite dishes at ITC Rajputana, one of the oldest hotels in the city. You can savor an authentic Rajasthani meal while enjoying stunning views of the city from its terrace.
- Another highly recommended eatery near Jaigarh Fort is Pind Baluchi. The rustic decor and wide selection of North Indian dishes make it an excellent choice for anyone looking to indulge their taste buds.
- If you’re looking for something more filling, then the Pandit Baba Chat Centre is just the place. Famed for its unique chat items, their rich and delicious preparations of bhel puri, samosas, and gol gappas will surely hit the spot.
- Head over to Jaipur Bazaar for some snacks or a quick bite, you’ll find numerous stalls offering chaats, sev puri, pani puri, masala papad, and more. All the offerings here are tasty and pocket-friendly too.
With such a variety of options near Jaigarh Fort, you’ll never go hungry! So head over there now and tantalize your taste buds.
What Makes Jaigarh Fort Stand Out?
Jaigarh Fort stands out for its architectural grandeur, breathtaking views, and legendary tales and mysteries that have made it famous for centuries. Its presence adds to the magnificence of Jaipur and has become a popular tourist destination.